Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hmm...

Apparently, Life after College does not exist! Life has been busy for me. I landed my dream job teaching private piano lessons. Between teaching, planning, researching, and trying to have something of a social life, the blog has fell behind. However, I LOVE teaching!!!! To make this post an acceptable length, here are some of my favorite stories thus far....

First lessons are always fun. You never know quite what you are going to run into in a first lesson. At the beginning of the year, we had paperwork to fill out for all of our transfer students. Along with the standard questions, I would ask about students likes, dislikes, interests, etc. One of my transfer students warmed up very quickly to talking. Not only did he answer all my questions, he embellished. I learned about what he considered being when he grew up, what his favorite things to do were, what the last 3-4 cars/trucks his family owned were and what things were good/bad about them, and about the invention he was working on. In a half an hour. I loved listening to him but after a while I had to interrupt to get to MUSIC. Since that was why he was there after all.

Another first lesson that brought me joy was half way through the year. A very serious little boy was just starting piano. Serious, shy, and a little giggly, I liked him right away of course! When we got to the "Technique and Artistry" book I wanted to see if I could get him to open up a little so I asked him if he knew what "Technique" was. He kinda shuffled on the bench, mumbled a bit, hunched up his shoulders, and generally looked nervous and uncomfortable. He then looked at me sideways and claimed, "This is going to sound silly..." but I encouraged him to go ahead so he started, "well...in Sponge-Bob..." :D :D The actual example doesn't matter as much, it applied well, but he totally made my month with that comment.

So, maybe there is Life after College. Just not much "free" time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment